Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Summertime

As today's temp reached a balmy 89 degrees, and they are predicting over 92 tomorrow, I can see that, despite all my hopes, summer is a'comin'! For those who don't know me well, this is my LEAST favorite time of the year. I do not do well with humidity and heat...so global warming is gonna really suck!

That said, summertime does mean longer days, so one can still sit outside past 6 pm and appreciate all the hard work done in the garden these past few weeks. I miss playing cards outside with Kate and Abby...Abby seems to gravitate towards the swing these days (yep, 15 1/2 yrs. old and all of a sudden, the swing is a big thing!) or her basement bedroom and the WII or some such electronic device. So I sit with my old dog and watch the fireflies and see the bats start to fly by and then spray my hostas with Liquid Fence so the deer and groundhog don't eat them, and then I go inside and realize that it is way past my bedtime! Summer also means no really frantic days of school/ccd/meetings. Hopefully, Abby will have a counselor job at the summer camp in Newburgh, and after 6 weeks, we can just relax. Oh, and Hershey Park! That is our one get-away. Even though I do not ride the rollercoasters, it is a break that we all look forward to with great anticipation!!

While the airconditioner seems nice now, by August, I will have a love/hate relationship with it. My sinuses and eyes will have become dried out by it, and the noise will have driven me crazy...but I cannot stand the days without it. All my laundry and ironing must now be done way before 10 am, and the hours between 1 pm and 5 pm are spent in the darkened livingroom. In 8 weeks or less, I will be longing for autumn. But for now, summer is almost here.

2 comments:

  1. We are still cold and still rainy and look to be so for the next week at least. Please send us some of your heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the feckin' summer! HATE IT! It smells here in the city in the summer. The subways are disgusting. The bugs are annoying. So are the people. Did I say I hate the summer?

    ReplyDelete