Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

Ever since I became a Catholic, no, even before, when I was attending services with Ken, I have found the Triduum to be a very profound, calming time. My favorite service is Good Friday. No mass, the altar stripped bare, the reading of the Isaiah (my fav prophet!), the epistles, then the Passion where we all get to cry out "Crucify him!" and prayers for everyone from the Pope to those who do not believe in God...as we move along, I think of those who fall into each "category". While the Easter Vigil is full of light, smoke, incense, and pomp, Good Friday is simple, quiet...we even leave without a hymn and the holy water fonts are empty. Something about this brings into focus what it is we are commemorating. It's like a funeral, but not quite...there are no flowers, no murmurings in the back of the room by the very young and very old, no body to inspect to help you deal with this inconceivable event. I think because I know tomorrow is Holy Saturday, that I know what the outcome will be, that it is not quite as sad. There is hope...and waiting.

A Blessed Easter to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Good Friday has always been my fav too. It's simple and to the point and cuts out all the crap. It's the true meaning of being a Catholic. I always felt it as the holiest of holy days!- kate

    ReplyDelete